Wednesday 29 April 2015

April

Hello everyone





I have left it till the very last minute to do my April styling the seasons post, the reason being that I wanted to include some corners of my home that are completely finished and looking beautiful. The problem is, I have tons of craft projects lined up, but I get very easily distracted, and end up with every room almost, but not quite, finished! So I have resolved to now concentrate on one room at a time and get things completely done so that I can share my home with you. 

In the end I just chose to use some items that are meaningful to me.  I have wanted to use this chair in a styling the seasons picture for a while; I am the world's worst hoarder and this chair comes from a set of four that my parents had when I was a child, so it evokes all sorts of happy memories of sitting around the dinner table with my noisy rabble of 3 younger brothers. My parents got rid of the other chairs and table that went with them but even as a youngster I was terribly sentimental and had a love for all things aged and shabby, so I managed to rescue this one and used it as a bedside table in my room for many years. It has stayed with me through 7 house moves, leaving home, getting married and having babies,  so I think it's here to stay!  The cloth draped over the back of the chair belonged to my nan and was hand embroidered in a leper colony in Asia where she lived many years ago...she and I had very similar taste and I love to have these little items around my home that remind me of her and make me feel connected with her still.  The heartshaped box was hand carved for me by my gorgeous husband on our 7th anniversary, we always give eachother a handmade card and mine can never compare to his incredible creations. He never gives me a card really but usually it is something wonderful that I can use in the home and the amount of time and effort he put into this box makes it so very precious to me. The blossom in the box is what makes this picture representative of what this April means to me. All of this month we have been making the most of the sunshine and working hard trying to make the garden look more loved and not just a wasteland full of rubbish. We are lucky enough to have a number of trees around the property and at the front of the house there is a particularly large and beautiful tree that can be seen through our bedroom window when I lie in bed. This week the tree revealed itself to be an ornamental cherry when it broke out in the most beautiful fluffy white blossom.  I was thrilled to say the least as I'm romantic in my style of garden and I have always loved cherry trees for their blossom, but on top of that, our previous home had a small orchard and at this time of year it was such a delight to look out and see the boughs laden with frothy little pom poms of pink and white; I miss it very much, so it was such a treat to discover that we have a little slice of that here in our new home. It felt like a blessing for all the hard work we have put in to this garden so far.

So that's my styling the seasons post for April. I can't believe we are heading into May already! I have been super busy these past few months but I'm hoping I have time now to blog a little more. In fact, I intend to share one of my more  finished rooms with you in the next couple of days. Our home is full of handmade, upcycled and recycled items so I hope there will be something of interest to share from every room. 

Hope you have all had a lovely April and have lots to look forward to in the month ahead

Stephanie xxx

3 comments:

  1. This is all so lovely - still can't believe I jussed it at the time! It has inspired me to style up a chair or stool for June's Styling the Seasons xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a lovely post - i really like hearing the stories behind the items. I'm doing the same as you at the moment, trying to finish one room at a time before moving onto the next one.

    ReplyDelete