Thursday 30 October 2014

Snow globe tutorial

Hello everyone,
I can't believe it's almost officially wintertime already, but I actually rather enjoy getting snug indoors and feathering our nest ready to hibernate on the sofa with my girls. I like to change things round a little indoors when it begins to cool down to make home feel more cozy and inviting to reflect the season. This means piles of pretty blankets and handmade quilts (I shall be writing another post about quilts shortly so look out for that one), copious candles and fairy lights for softer lighting, stacks of favourite old books and pretty biscuits and snacks in kilner jars or on beautiful china plates, because, let's face it, we all like to put on a bit of extra winter insulation at this time of year :-) . The extra time spent indoors also means lots more crafting in this house, and today I wanted to share with you a simple little craft idea which adds to that magical feeling winter brings and also makes a fabulous handmade gift if you are stuck for something personal and a bit special to give. It's also a craft that the children absolutely love so that's a bonus! I have lots of little trinkets about the place that belonged to my lovely nan who passed away last year, and being of such sentimental value I wanted to make a feature of one or two of them, so after a short mooch through ideas on pinterest I decided to make a snow globe.  Snow globes always held a special intrigue for me as a child, ever since I watched Shirley Temple in Heidi receive a snow globe containing a miniature of her grandfather's house. I found it fascinating that there was this tiny little world in a flurry of snow that you held in the palm of your hand. So this was a perfect craft for me. I chose a small plastic deer for this project, which can be found everywhere in the shops around Christmas and are just deliciously kitsch. I remember being allowed to play with this one as a child and I thought it was completely gorgeous. I don't know why my nan kept it but she was a bit of a magpie and just loved animals and anything a bit cute. Anyway, to make your snow globe you will need an old jam jar and lid, perhaps a more globular shaped one would be best, some boiled cooled water and a bottle of glycerine which you can buy over the counter at Boots, some glitter and fake snow, and ribbon or any other little embellishment you may fancy. I used faux gemstones and some cute little toadstools I found at Wilkinson. You will also need a hot glue gun. You may need to begin by gluing your chosen figurine to a bottle top so that it's slightly raised up on the jar lid. You can then glue the figurine and bottle top to the inside of the jar lid. Fill your jar 3/4 full with the cooled water and a couple of tablespoons of glycerine. Add your glitter and faux snow and check that the liquid is viscous enough that the glitter etc takes a while to settle. If need be add a tad more glycerine. When you are happy with the liquid, screw the lid to the jar and hot glue around the edge. You can then add your embellishment.  I'm sure you will agree the effect is rather charming! I shall be making more of these so will post pictures of the results. Have a good evening all xx

No comments:

Post a Comment