Wednesday 22 October 2014

So today I took the kids swimming for the afternoon which I must admit I really didn't feel like doing today. It's getting decidedly autumnal outside, and while I adore this time of year I do believe it is best enjoyed kicking through the fallen leaves bundled up to the eyeballs in a big wooly jumper and hat,or indoors by a roaring fire with a mug of hot spiced apple juice. Most definitely not in a skimpy cozzie in a lukewarm swimming pool. But my girls disagreed, they couldn't think of anything more exciting for a Wednesday afternoon, so in the interests of earning mummy brownie points I stuffed our kit in a bag and off we went. Boy am I glad I did. Ella, my eldest, has been gradually becoming more comfortable in the water each week, and today for the first time she dunked herself under the water and swam quite a way on her own. Her little face was so overjoyed that she finally swam unaided I felt like I was going to burst with pride. Honestly if she had won an Olympic gold medal I could not have been more proud. And I taught her that. Such a wonderful feeling. 

Anyway, I wanted to share with you my boot sale finds from the weekend. It's been sooo long since I went to a boot sale, I've always been too exhausted after broken sleep with babies to drag myself out of bed early enough to get the really good stuff. So this weekend marked another little step towards being able to enjoy 'grown up' stuff again. Which did make me feel a little sad, because it brings home how quickly our baby girls are becoming big girls and I do miss having a baby around. Still, it was nice to feel that familiar thrill of rummaging amongst all the junk to find your one little piece of treasure. I do believe my enthusiasm rubbed off on my girls, they came home with a pink unicorn and a pair of mickey mouse roller skates,  items I do not know how we have lived without thus far. Although I only found a couple of treasures of my own I was chuffed with what I did get: a wonderful sanders teapot with a beautiful shabby chic design, and 2 Cecily Barker flower fairies books. I adore her illustrations. And I must admit I'm a bit of a magpie when it comes to vintage China.  There's nothing quite like the thrill of haggling for your desired item;
my heart skipped a beat when the lady apologetically asked me for £2.00 for my teapot. I do love a bargain. And I love the idea that I have rescued something that was once treasured by another person from ending up on the rubbish heap, instead to be treasured by me. I think there will definitely be a lot more boot sale trips coming up this winter! 
Off to my parents' tomorrow with the girls so will share what we've been up to when we return. Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment